Wednesday, December 18, 2013

A Visit from Grandparents

We have just come to a reluctant close of arguably the best week of Shiloh’s life.  This little girl is lucky on many levels, one of which is that she has three sets of grandparents who love her with all their hearts.  Sue & Gerry, parents of one of Shiloh’s namesakes, Ellen, came to visit us for the past week and it was so hard to see them go this morning.  Grandma Sue & Granddad Gerry spoiled our little girl rotten and gave Dave and me some much needed refreshment.  Although Sue & Gerry are not blood related, they have been like second parents to me most all of my life, with Gerry knowing my dad well before I was born back when my dad was interning at St. Lawrence hospital, Sue acting as my girl scout leader until I graduated from high school, and both of them helping to shape me into who I am today.  As wonderful as it is to have a loving church family here in Belfast, it is not the same as having our real family here.  It has been beyond wonderful to have them here and not having to ask for help, but rather having them see where help is needed with Shiloh and jumping into help.  As soon as they arrived last week, they went into grandparent mode, and began the week-long gift of helping the new parents with the new baby.  There were gifts like hauling a Christmas tree from downtown to our house via a city bus, cooking dinner while I was told to sit down on the couch, manipulating backs with osteopathy to alleviate pain, massaging my head which put me near to sleep, and gifting adorable hand-made pajamas & booties to keep Shiloh warm.  I didn’t realize how tired I really was after adjusting to the past seven weeks of motherhood until they arrived and I had two extra sets of hands to help with Shiloh.  It was so wonderful to walk into the kitchen and see that the dishes had been washed and counter cleaned and wet clothes hung up to dry, or being told to go take a shower and “we’ll deal with the crying baby”, or not have to carry the diaper bag or push the stroller because someone else had already volunteered for the task.  A definite highlight of the week was having them here for Shiloh’s baptism, and the fact that Gerry did one of the readings for the baptismal ceremony.  It was a special moment made even more special because these two grandparents were present.  I don’t think it will just be me who misses them – Shiloh had taken to smiling up at Gerry when he fed her her bottle of expressed milk at night, and Shiloh had gotten used to snuggling with Sue in the morning while Dave and I walked Toby.  Their calming presence amidst the circus that is taking care of an infant and a very emotional dog helped lower my blood pressure and provided a respite when I needed it most, especially coming off a stressful week of figuring out Shiloh’s tummy issues.  When they left early this morning I took a page out of Shiloh’s playbook, crying like a baby, so sad that this week, like all good things, has to come to an end, but eagerly anticipating the next time we are all together.

First time meeting Grandma Sue

Yawning as she meets Granddad Gerry for the first time

Our trimmed Christmas tree

Decked out in her "Pixie Girl" pjs made especially for her by Grandma Sue, wrapped in the receiving blanket made especially for her by Maga (the name I call Sue's mom)

Snuggles with Granddad as he and Dave beat Sue & me in Trivial Pursuit

Baptism Day


Sue, Gerry, & Shiloh in St. Anne's Cathedral

Bottle feed time with Granddad Gerry

Cheers!

In the gardens at Belfast Castle

Shiloh, Sue, & Gerry in Belfast Castle

Sue & Shiloh in Belfast Castle

Beaming Granddad Gerry & the Pixie Girl, fast asleep

Hanging out with Grandma Sue
Great-aunt Hattie booties

1 comment:

  1. Everything about this post makes me smile!!! What a wonderful blessing to have your close and dear friends with you during such important days of Shiloh's life! So happy you have a Christmas tree up... it will be a Christmas full of blessings and many memories!

    ReplyDelete