Jonathon Larson famously posed the question in his Rent song “Seasons of Love”, “525,600
minutes, how do you measure, measure a year?”
For Dave & me, there have been too many ways to measure the past year for us to
count. However I suppose “Seasons of love”, like the song
title says, are really the best way to measure these past 525,600 minutes in
Belfast. I went into this year convinced
that I would be counting down the minutes until I got to come back to the
U.S. Now I am finding myself holding
onto each passing minute as I have to get ready to say goodbye to this place I
have come to call home. In a year that I
thought would be seasons of longing to leave, it really has turned into a
year filled with seasons of love. How else could I measure a year which
includes the birth of my first born child? Her season of love is enough to fill an entire year and beyond. A season of love from this year that I am dreading to
leave is our church, Newtonbreda Presbyterian.
I really don’t think this church realizes how special it is – it really
embodies everything that a Christian church should. It welcomes foreigners with open arms and shows
them love in every possible way. I am
also sad to be leaving a season of love which brought growth. Dave has been blessed to work for an
institution which gave him a renewed sense of purpose and I have been
blessed to have a year to reflect and find out that moving to a new land is not
as scary as it seemed 12 months ago. We have both experienced seasons of life that could not have been experienced any place
but here – a city that provided us a small reprieve from our hustle and bustle
lifestyle in America. A year of love
looks like the face of our daughter, it looks like the church in which we
worshiped, and it looks like the green and rolling hills we were blessed enough
to call home in 2013. All of these truly special moments which far too often get taken for granted taught us so much this year about living instead of just watching life go by. These are seasons of love which truly turned into moments of love to last us a lifetime.
Images from 2013 Seasons of Love:

Atop Divis Mountain, with the city of Belfast behind us (more like a hill, though, compared to Colorado's mountains). (4 months pregnant)









Another beautiful and thoughtful post... what a perfect recap of your adventure and experiences. Many thoughts and prayers for you as you simultaneously leave home and return home. It's a special thing to call so many places home :o)
ReplyDelete