This September I was made aware of a non-profit organization
seeking volunteers to teach English to refugees and asylum seekers. The organization is called Northern Ireland
Centre for Refugees & Asylum Seekers (NICRAS). NICRAS is run on a shoe-string budget with
the goal of helping refugees & asylum seekers transition into their new
country. It is housed in a converted
terraced house which is a few years past its prime. To say the building is old would be to say
that the Vatican has been around for a few years. The front door shuts most of the time, and only one of the three bathrooms works some of
the time. The teaching room is located
on the fourth floor…four floors with very
steep steps, (many of which I am certain are not up to code) made even steeper
by the 33 week-old fetus growing inside my body. For a few weeks now on Tuesdays and
Thursdays, I have been able to volunteer my time and help teach English to this
vulnerable group of people. Most of
these men and women come from war-torn countries such as Sudan and Somalia, and
other countries with extreme poverty such as Ethiopia. Many do
not know where they will be headed to next until they board the plane departing their home country. They often are
able to bring the clothes on their backs and the stories of devastation
and heartbreak of the atrocities they have witnessed in their home country. Many of the asylum seekers are living in temporary youth
hostel accommodations and must check in each Wednesday at North Irish
government offices to maintain asylum status.
If they obtain refugee status (something which is not a guarantee), they then must find a way to acquire housing,
transportation, and nourishment on their own in a land where they have trouble
communicating and are learning as they go. There is a wide range of English knowledge from
the students who show up for tutoring.
Some have had university experience in their home country and a little exposure to English, while others have never set foot in
a formal classroom and instead worked as a shepherd their entire lives in remote mountain regions. The diverse knowledge backgrounds makes for an interesting mix to teach. One group may be learning how to greet people
in English and ask for directions while another group is learning the alphabet
while yet another group is practicing reading English aloud from chapter
books. This is truly turning into one of
those experiences where I am the one
being transformed and touched by the very people who I am supposed to be
helping. Seeing the excitement in the
eyes of the students when they understand something in English is a gift like I
have never before felt. Experiencing the gratitude for simply having a teacher sit with them for an hour
and a half and work through this complicated language we call English makes me
feel honored to be in that role. After witnessing how grateful these students are to learn, I have found myself feeling frustration with those, myself included, who take their overall education for granted. Each Tuesday and Thursday night I reflect
on my day and I find myself feeling that much more thankful for all of the many blessings surrounding Dave and me. The small gift of speaking the same
language keeps me ahead of many people whose first language is not English and end up here either by choice or by
luck of the draw. For example, I am able
to easily communicate with my doctors and midwives about questions, concerns, and
comments about my pregnancy and understand their responses without needing the
aid of a translator. There are pregnant
women who come to NICRAS and I have been able to teach them the words of vital
pregnancy terms they need to know as well as what to expect when they are
expecting in Belfast in regards to pregnancy health care.
My only regret about NICRAS is that I did not find out about it
sooner. Although I have only been
volunteering at NICRAS for a few short weeks and only have a few months left, I
can honestly say that it will be one of the things I will miss most about
Belfast. It is already spurring me to
try and find a comparable organization in the U.S. to help people in similar
situations and work to extend a hand of humanity in an otherwise cold world. In other words, take on the challenge laid out by a former Hope College dean of chapel in my undergrad years who said, “go out and be
the Gospel”.
Nice job- I remit; adventure=opportunity. This time in spades...
ReplyDeleteLuv ya.....
Uncle Tom: Maaayyybbbbeee it is an adventure after all... ;)
DeleteWhat a great story!! So happy for your opportunity and thankful that you are positively influencing so many lives :o) You have such a great heart!!
ReplyDeleteAs a sidenote... a lot of times in other countries, there are very distinct differences in building codes compared to what you're use to in the US :o)
Megan, I don't think these are up to ANY country's code. :)
Delete