There are several experiences I have had in Northern Ireland
that I never would have had in the U.S.
One of the experiences happened recently when Fiona, a friend from
church, came over to teach me some Aran (pronounced “air-in”) patterns which
would be used in an Aran jumper (aka, sweater).
Aran jumpers are unique to Ireland. They originally came from the Aran Isles
which are located off the west coast of the Republic of Ireland, and became adopted throughout
the Emerald Isle by fishermen. The
jumpers became popular amongst fishermen for a few reasons. Two of the reasons are because (a) they were
made out of raw wool which still had its natural oils and thus making it water
repellant (important for a jumper worn by sea faring fishermen) and (b) each
fishing family retained its own distinct Aran jumper pattern and so if a
fisherman met an untimely death and drowned in the sea, when found the pattern
on his jumper would identify from which family he came. (Fiona married into the Doherty-pronounced “Dockerty”-
family, which according to her husband actually has its own Aran pattern stitch.)
Fiona admitted to me that there is no “easy” Aran stitch to
learn, and luckily for me she was a very patient teacher. The first thing I learned was that there is
an additional needle I would need: a “cable needle” to hold some of the
stitches while I would knit and purl and end up twisting the stitches into a
specific design. Sitting next to Fiona
and copying her knit for knit and purl for purl and slip stitch for slip
stitch, I was struck by the history that I was partaking in. For generations, long before the island of
Ireland was divided into two countries for religious reasons, women made these wearable
stories for their men; here I sat, in the 21st century next to
someone who had distant roots to these knitters and was able to learn a few of
the patterns of this ancient craft. It
was definitely a “pinch me” moment.
Fiona revealed to me that about fifty years ago, one could purchase a
hand knit Aran jumper for right around £10 ($16).
However, now because Aran jumpers have become popularized amongst
American tourists, the price is now around £80-£90 ($127-$144). She said that a machine knit Aran jumper
would not run that much money, but she said you would be able to tell the
difference. When I asked her what the
difference would be she hesitated, and then said “Well, I guess it would be the
difference between how you are knitting the stitches right now and how I am”
(she also has about fifty-five years of experience on me). After spending over three hours at our house,
she left me on loan with one of her knitting books, one of the “magic” (her
words) cable needles, and a ball of real Aran wool with which to practice my
stitch patterns. She also gifted me a
book titled “What to Knit When You are Expecting” which contains some pretty
cute project ideas. After a few days my
stitches had already improved (see pictures).
I popped into the “Pins & Needles” club at our church to show Fiona
my improvements (granted there was a dropped stitch at the top of my sample), and she gasped and said “Did you do that?” in disbelief. I beamed with pride knowing that I left my teacher speechless. Now I have to just keep practicing the stitch patterns, hoping to get better in the 8 weeks of free time I have left before our “little adventure” arrives. I better get knitting…
Fiona's sample on the left, mine on the right
My improved cable stitch after a few days of practice
The "Honeycomb Stitch"
Mine on the left, Fiona's on the right
Mine on the left, Fiona's on the right
I don't remember this stitch's name
Fiona's on the left, mine on the right
Fiona's on the left, mine on the right




What a cool experience!! Such wonderful history; your little one is going to be lucky to wear such a special hand crafted item... best of luck practicing!!
ReplyDelete