Last week I was one of the unfortunate air travelers who
ended up in the FAA furlough’s crosshairs.
After surviving 8 hour long weather-induced delays the previous week at
Newark, I was excited that the weather called for blue skies for my flights
back to Belfast. And then the sequester
hit with full force. All week long I
checked on the status of my flight numbers, checking to see how many would
actually be affected by the furloughs; statistics started revealing that most
of them were feeling the squeeze of fewer FAA flight controllers in the towers
directing traffic. I woke up on Friday
and braced myself for the inevitable delays.
My flight from Lansing to Chicago was remarkable for its
unremarkableness. However, Chicago
always seems to find a way to throw a monkey wrench into any flight path, and
my Chicago to Newark flight was no different.
First, I could not get a straight answer from anyone as to which gate
the flight would be departing. Finally,
fifteen minutes prior to departing, they posted the information. However, more wait time ensued and the predicted boarding
time came and went; eventually a gate agent took the microphone to
apologize for the delays and blamed it on congress and then started boarding
group 1. Looking at my boarding pass and
realizing I was in group 5 (the last and final boarding group), I decided to
head up the group as we were herded into line to wait our turn. By the time we got on the jet way, it was
clear that the plane was near capacity with passengers in seats and that all of
the overhead storage space had already been claimed. Instead of simply being able to gate check
our carry-ons and retrieve them at the gate in Newark, we would have to check
them to our final destinations. I
received my receipt, and realized that the gate agent had written “Belpast”
instead of “Belfast” on the ticket.
Feeling nervous that my bag wouldn’t end up with me at my final
destination yet again (I was separated from my bag en route to Lansing), I nagged the ticket agent until he went to change it in the system. Meanwhile, I started hearing the flight
attendants mumble about how it was going to be at least an hour if not more
before we left the gate, let alone get airborne. Realizing that my layover window in Newark
was shrinking (thus my window to catch my flight to Belfast – and there is only
one flight each day from the U.S. to Belfast), I started reciting every prayer
I could remember and also called on my dad to intercede for me, as I was flying
on the fourth anniversary of his death.
Something in all of that must have helped, because by the end of that
hour I felt the wheels lift off the ground as we ascended into the clouds. Arriving in Newark required me to stay on my
toes. I found my departing gate, only to
have to switch gates after I had settled in, forcing me to retrace my steps
nearly all the way back to the gate from which I de-boarded the Chicago to
Newark plane. Again I watched as the
designated boarding time came and left, with a plane full of passengers getting
rather grumpy at the gate (it was nearing 10:00 p.m. by now). Eventually, though, we did board but had to
sit on the tarmac for 45 minutes while we waited our turn for one of the few
FAA flight controllers to give us the OK to take off – but finally made it into
the night sky. Typically an hour delay
here and an hour delay there would not be so much of a big deal. However, the delays on Friday were of epic
proportion across the country which caused a trickle-down effect and made
traveling miserable: the squabbling in
D.C. held the FAA hostage thus causing airlines and airline flight attendants to
turn the friendly skies into the get-me-out-of-here skies. Landing the next morning in Belfast caused me
to be a bit bleary eyed, but I was able to look past my exhaustion when I
discovered that both of my bags – the one I had checked in Lansing and the one
I had checked plane side in Chicago – had made it to Belfast and were now in my
hands. This week I am plunging head
first into writing my thesis. I am
finding myself jumping from one adventure traveling back and forth across the
pond to starting up another one, although this one must be completed by August,
and I have around 30 journal articles to read and (only) 30 pages to write. Off to the races I go!
No comments:
Post a Comment