A lot can happen in two weeks. Over the course of the past two weeks, Dave
and I filmed an episode of a TV show and I flew back and forth from one
continent to another. It all started last fall after a
nudge from Dave’s sister. We filled out an online application for House Hunters
International on HGTV. After that, we were asked to
send in a video of our house wish list, and then had to wait for a while. Next thing we knew, we were told that
we would be filmed in April and I would get flown back to Michigan for
additional filming. After we overcame
the shock of what was unfolding in front of us, we started getting really
excited for what was to come. Our film
crew, hailing from Scotland, could not have been more supportive of us rookie
actors. Each scene over the course of
Saturday, Sunday, and Monday felt relaxed because of the direction from the
crew. Tuesday we
squeezed in a dentist appointment along with Sarah packing for Michigan. On Wednesday morning, we both rose at 3:30
a.m. Belfast time (10:30 p.m. Tuesday night Michigan time) to get Sarah ready
for the taxi to take her to the airport.
The next 24 hours were a blur…what was included was re-checking a bag in
Manchester because there weren’t enough “spaces on the ticket” to check it
through all the way – during which I nearly missed my flight to Newark; then, once in Newark, encountered a delayed and eventually cancelled flight due to weather
in Chicago, during which we got to sit on the tarmac for two hours before getting hauled back to
the gate; a customer service agent consoling me, which was contradicted by another
customer service agent who berated me for stepping up to the desk instead of
waiting for him to call me to him; and finally getting the last seat on the
last flight to Grand Rapids that night. I
was so relieved and exhausted by the time I got to Grand Rapids literally 24 hours
after I started my trip that I just hugged my mom and cried on her
shoulder once I saw her in Grand Rapids.
After I collected myself, we went over to customer service and placed a
claim on my checked bag that was still in Newark and started the hour drive
home to East Lansing. Thursday was a
much needed day of rest, followed by Friday, the last day of filming for our
episode. There really must be something
to the saying that time flies when you’re having fun, because the rest of the
week really flew by, including a trip up to Cadillac to see family, a trip over
to Rockford to see Dave’s parents, sister, and grandma, dinner with one of my
uncles, and lots of lunches and coffees with old friends. Tomorrow I will be
flying back to Belfast without worrying about weather delaying flights but
rather the furlough of FAA flight controllers.
My entire life, one of my weaknesses has been my tendency to worry. Since hearing about the FAA furloughs on
Monday, I have been worrying about how it will affect my flights. However, I will also be flying on the
anniversary of my dad’s death, so I am trying to tell myself that he will be
flying with me and will help protect me tomorrow just as he did his entire
life before he died. It will be the perfect way to cap a very busy and eventful two weeks.
Sounds like it was a crazy and completely awesome experience :o) So glad you were able to come back to Michigan for a visit!!
ReplyDelete