The weather in Belfast is akin to a 15 year old hormonal
girl: its mood changes unpredictably from one minute to the next. An umbrella is a must when venturing out into
the elements, even if it is blue sky overhead and the BBC Weather forecaster
has said there is only a 1% chance of showers.
This can make running in Belfast a bit of a challenge. Don’t get me wrong, I have run in my fair
share of weather, such as hail, sleet, snow, rain, and am accustomed to weather not being
perfect when I run. However, this is not just any weather, it is Belfast weather. The other day I went out for
a run, and halfway through the skies opened up with rain and sleet. Luckily I was at a turnaround point, so I
headed back, thinking it would be like other times I had been caught in the
rain on a run. Then the weather seemed
to take a direct aim at my unprotected face, as though I had personally offended
it and now was reaping the consequences.
As if the forceful precipitation wasn’t enough, the wind decided to jump
in the mix and try with all its might to push me in every direction but
straight. Finally, I made it home and
safe inside from the brutal and punishing weather, which is naturally when the
clouds rolled away and the sun took center stage amidst the blue backdrop. Getting used to so much precipitation takes
some time, and I think I finally may be starting to pick up the rhythm. When I see clouds starting to peak over Cave
Hill (which incidentally we were told is the location that the police would use
to scout trouble brewing between the two Christian sects of Belfast pre-Good
Friday Agreement, but I digress), I know I have roughly a 7 minute window
before the moisture of the clouds reaches my doorstep. The variety of weather rolls quickly through
Belfast thanks in part to the winds that blow off the North Atlantic. In fact, the other night we experienced the
howling of 60 mph gale force winds brought to us from that sea. Most days I don’t have to look very hard to
witness the clouds getting pushed around like forgotten plastic bags by the
blustery air above. Umbrellas frequently
get turned inside out by an unwelcome gust, and birds often seem to fly in
place as they flap against the punishing air stream. Those few priceless days, when the rain holds
off for a full 24 hours, generates immense celebration and merriment within us,
and allows us to safely exhale and put down our guard against the rain. One piece of weather we were told not to
expect while we were here was snow; however, when we woke up one morning to
fluffy flakes on our front step, it essentially completed the weather package
we’ve experienced thus far. Belfast’s
skies have trained us well within a short period of time: we always travel with
insulated raingear and windbreakers, preparing as best we can for the fickle climate.
The weather keeps us alert, keeps us
tuned in, and keeps life interesting on the Green Isle.
You even made inclement weather sound beautiful :o) Hopefully you have a nice mac to wear when it rains! (Do they use that term in Northern Ireland, or just England?)
ReplyDelete