It has occurred to me that I have not written much about
Toby, our beloved 10 pound Yorkie mix.
Given how stressful it was to get him over here, it seems he deserves
his very own blog post. When we started
to prepare for this journey at the beginning of November, I never could have
predicted how many hoops through which I would jump for the sake of
transporting our little boy. Dave and I
debated whether to even bring him, given the stress of flying internationally with
a pet. We decided since we would be gone
longer than 6 months, it would be fairer to him to be with us instead of
staying with our family. I started
looking online at the UK “Pet Scheme”, also known as the rules for transporting
a pet to the UK. As of January 2012, the
six month quarantine for dogs brought into the UK had been lifted, and all one
needed was to follow the five outlined steps: (1) have the dog micro-chipped;
(2) have the dog vaccinated against rabies no fewer than 21 days prior to entry
into the UK; (3) obtain an EU pet passport for the dog coming from EU (European
Union) countries, or obtain an official veterinary certificate with an official
raised seal for the dog not coming from
EU countries; (4) have the dog treated for tapeworm no fewer than 24 hours and
no more than 5 days prior to entry into the UK; (5) arrange for the dog to
travel with an approved transport company on an authorized route. I clicked on the link for an “authorized
route”, and found Belfast unlisted. After
some additional digging, I was eventually put in contact with Breeny Kennels
and Quarantine. It turns out that they
are the only “approved transport
company” in Northern Ireland. Over the
course of several emails, we were able to start
getting the proper documentation for Toby’s travel. Fast forward several weeks, and we had our
plane tickets booked. I notified Breeny
about our flight details, and they alerted me to the fact that since we were
arriving on a Saturday, Toby would not be able to be checked in to the UK, as
the animal customs department is only opened 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., M-F. It was around this time that we realized that
our work visas were not going to get mailed back in time due to holidays and an
unforeseen increase in requests for UK work visas, so we paid the fee to re-book our plane
tickets to arrive between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. on a week day. In the meantime, I got to work filling out
the paperwork for Toby and making arrangements for vet appointments to obtain their signature and USDA
appointments to obtain their raised seal of approval. Toby and I got all ready for his first vet
appointment and arrived at the vet’s only to discover that the vet appointment
for his physical had to occur on the same day as the tapeworm treatment (which
was scheduled for a few days later in order to fall within the 1-5 day
parameters). That left us going home and
calling the USDA to reschedule our “raised seal” appointment. A few days later, back to the vet’s we
went. A few shots, a rectal probe, a
pill swallowed and a blood draw later, Toby and I headed to the USDA for our
“raised seal” appointment, and got ready for our last days in the US. Up until we left Toby at the manifest cargo
area at United Airlines, I wasn’t totally sure I was ok with shipping him. Dave will attest to the fact that
sometimes I worry, and I was extremely worried that Toby would accidentally get
sent to Brazil instead of Belfast. In
fact, the original papers they had for Toby at United was for Brazil. When I saw that, I made the agent make triplicate copies to prove Toby's ticket destination was changed to Belfast. A reassurance for me throughout our layovers was that I was able to
call United Airline’s PetSafe program to check on him and make sure that he was
safe. In fact, I think they started to recognize my voice because the process went more quickly each subsequent time I called. As worried as I was about bringing
him, I am so grateful that he is here.
He has ensured that I get outside at least twice a day for two good
walks, and has caused dozens of strangers to stop and marvel at the wee dog
with the wee red coat. Even when I was
at my most stressed out point in the hotel, I could count on Toby to make me
smile by bringing me his Kong and reminding me that life can be just as simple
as chasing an odd shaped piece of bouncing red rubber. Now, Toby, Dave, and I each walk in together
to Dave’s work and then Toby and I bid Dave adieu and head home to begin our
day of Kong throwing and bird chasing on walks through various parks. He is slowly starting to adjust to the new food, noises, smells, and looking in the opposite direction for cars when crossing the street. After all of the stress of preparing for
Toby’s travel, the reward has proven him as a source of light and familiarity amidst
the stress and transition into a new life in a new continent.
So glad Toby made it over there with you!!! You two must have such fun during the day!!
ReplyDelete