Friday, October 18, 2013

Balls in Europe

The other day, Dave made an observation: “I’ll bet this year has seen the most Balls in Europe since WWII.”  By “Ball”, he was referring to my mom’s side of the family (the Balls), and I think he might be right.  In WWII, my grandpa, Devere, and his older brother, Don, and younger brother, Delos, served the U.S. as soldiers in Europe.  Prior to that, Francis Ball & his father, William, extended the branch of the Ball family tree to America when they boarded the Mayflower and made their way to upstate New York.  Their decedents eventually found Cadillac, Michigan, and members of the Ball family still live on that Ball Family Farm.  However, this year has for some reason seen a bumper crop of Balls making their way back to Europe, the most in one year since WWII.  The first wave of Balls coming back to Europe in January began with me, followed by my mom and sister visiting us this summer, my cousin Kody visiting Italy this summer, and my cousin Jason and his wife visiting Germany and Ireland (including popping up to Belfast and seeing Dave and me for a couple of days) this fall.  The next member of the Ball family to arrive in Europe is due 3 weeks from Sunday.  This will be the first birth of a Ball in Europe, who can trace his or her lineage to the Balls who came over on that historic ship, since King James I ruled England.  2013 has shaped up to be quite the monumental year for the Ball family and connecting back to its European roots.

2 comments:

  1. That is such a remarkable glimpse into your past and family history!! So amazing that the new little Ball will arrive soon, following footsteps of your ancestors travels. I can only imagine what fantastic family traits your young one will have, and that little one will certainly carry on the Ball family traditions :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really a great addition. I have read this marvelous post. Thanks for sharing information about it. I really like that. Thanks so lot for your convene.
    top-10-best-bumper-balls

    ReplyDelete