Dave and I live in what is called a Terraced House. Picture a block with a long row of 100-year old red brick houses all
connected to each other by the walls. We
live in the end terrace, so we not only get a nice view of the sunset and
sunrise but also a (small) side yard.
All of the front “yards” (if you can call them yards…most people refer
to them as gardens) are about 10 feet by 8 feet and are usually separated by
four foot high brick walls. Some people
fill their spot with grass, others cement it over and put potted plants out,
and still others place a large hydrangea or rose bush in the center to add some
flair. About half way down our terrace
is an older man, I would presume to be in his 70’s, whose front garden is
literally overflowing with blooming foliage.
He has somehow squeezed in three trees, a hedge with climbing flowers,
and a plethora of potted flowers blooming throughout the seasons. I love walking by his house as it is the most
exciting one to walk past due to its variety of greenery. He also tends to keep to himself, and
whenever I do see him out and about he always has on his Gilligan’s Island
style fishing hat, a non-descript tan jacket and carrying a partially full
M&S shopping bag (M&S= Marks & Spencer’s, a large UK department
store chain). I have run into him early
in the morning at St. George’s Market, late in the afternoons at the library,
and walking by our house in the middle of day.
I always try to get his attention, to make eye contact with him at the
very least. Since we moved into our
house on February 2nd, I have been trying to get some sort of
acknowledgement from our neighbor. Just
when I was starting to think that my attempts were all in vain, the heavens
opened up and a miracle occurred. One
morning last week while Dave and I were walking by his house, he was walking
into his front garden from the road and carrying to large bottles of
water. Not only did he nod his head at
me, but he stopped and said, “I have some men coming to do work on my roof
today and I thought I would leave them some water.” I jumped at the opportunity to engage him in
conversation, “Oh! How wonderful!” I said.
“By the way, we just love walking by your house - you have the loveliest
garden.” Instead of being able to take a
compliment, he responded with “Eh, it’s overgrown and the vines shouldn’t be
hanging into the sidewalk like they are.
And these flowers over here are droopy and need more water.” I just smiled and said, “It all looks
lovely.” (I think he might have given me a partial smile as we walked away!) Down the street, I said to Dave, “Okay. I can now leave Northern Ireland, I got the
old man to not only say hello but also participate in a conversation with
me!” I might not have formed a friendship
for life with him (or even for the day) but I did find a small victory in that
the old man who I had started to write off as not having a friendly bone in his
body finally showed me otherwise. This
man gave me a refresher course in patience, reminding me that sometimes you
have to wait, hard as that may be, for the desired reward.
Afterwards, he probably left your encounter and had a smaile on his face (or at least thought of smiling!!)... :o)
ReplyDelete